Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Progress Report

Yesterday I implemented PhysicsFS, a "...library [to] provide abstract access to various archives".
Basically it allows me to move all the various files (like tile graphics and sounds) into one zip archive. Not only does it look much tidier, but file access is also faster. It also makes modding support easier, because it allows the program to look for a file (for example a mission definition file) first in a mod directory (or/and zip file), and if it is not found there, then in the default place. This allows modders to replace files in a easy way. Added security is also a plus. PhysicsFS doesn't allows any access to files outside the game directory, which means that scripts can't wreak havoc on a users system.

Compiling and implementing it was actually easier than I thought... after I had read the Install.txt.
RTFM saved the day again. Now I just need to write or steal find a C++ wrapper.

No comments:

Post a Comment